Braces-Friendly Thanksgiving Recipes!
November has officially arrived and the holiday season is upon us, so let’s talk turkey! At Milnor Orthodontics, we are thankful all year long to have such amazing patients, so we wanted to share some of Dr. Milnor’s favorite Thanksgiving recipes with you! And yes, they’re all braces approved. Enjoy!
Family Friendly Recipes:
SAUSAGE, CORNBREAD AND CHESTNUT DRESSING (Dr. Milnor’s favorite!)
prep time: 15 min
cook time: 1 hour 30 min
serves: 10 to 12
8 cups cubed day-old buttermilk cornbread
2 cups cubed day-old country-style white bread
1 1⁄2 lb mild Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup roasted and peeled chestnuts, quartered
1⁄4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary and thyme
3 cups chicken stock
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a large baking dish.
- Spread cornbread and white bread on a baking sheet. Toast in oven until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, brown sausage, breaking it up with a spatula, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.Transfer to a large bowl.
- In same pan, warm oil. Add onion and celery and sauté until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Add cornbread and white bread, chestnuts, herbs and stock. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
- Transfer to prepared dish, cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until browned and crispy, about 40 minutes more. Serve hot.
SWEET POTATO GRATIN WITH PECANS
prep time: 20 min
cook time: 33 min
4 thin slices prosciutto, about 2 oz. total, cut into 1⁄2 -inch strips
4 sweet potatoes, 1 1⁄2 to 2 lb. total, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1⁄4 cup crème fraîche
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1⁄3 cup toasted pecan halves, coarsely chopped (omit for braces wearers)
- In a fry pan over medium-high heat, cook prosciutto, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large pot of boiling water over high heat, cook sweet potatoes until tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until nearly smooth. Add 1 Tbs. of the butter, the crème fraîche, 1⁄2 tsp. salt and 1⁄2 tsp. pepper and stir to combine. Stir in prosciutto.
- Spread mixture in a gratin dish. Sprinkle pecans on top (skip pecans if you have braces). Cut remaining 1 Tbs. butter into bits and sprinkle on top.
- Bake until butter has melted and the top is lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
MAPLE BOURBON SMASH
- Pour 2 oz. bourbon, 1 oz. maple syrup and 1 oz. fresh lemon juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Stir until thoroughly chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into a double old-fashioned glass with a large cube of ice.
- If desired, using a Crafthouse Cocktail Smoking Box, smoke cocktail with applewood chips for 15 seconds, or until desired amount of smokiness is achieved.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and serve. Makes 1 drink.
POMEGRANATE CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL
- Pour 1 oz. pomegranate juice and ½ 1 oz. Grand Marnier into a cocktail glass or champagne flute.
- Top with about 3 oz. sparkling wine and stir gently.
- Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds and serve. Makes 1 drink.
At Milnor Orthodontics, our experts are here to help you achieve a priceless smile. Call our office at (970) 230-3187 or visit milnororthodontics.com to learn more. We're located at 1103 S. Shields St. in Fort Collins, Colorado.